Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Neither Nerf nor Nothing.

If it wasn't for Penny Arcade, life for me would be drab, ordinary and unfortunately relyant on sports. This would lead to JHF sucking and likewise mu sense of humor, although it seems that isn't so stellar, either. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (or "the Odd Days of the week" as they should be called) a new strip and corresponding news briefing from the creators falls to the internet, brightening millions of people and their respective days.

*segue

A particular strip caught my eye to what could possibly be a new hobby, NERF. It was odd seeing my middle-aged heroes play with toy guns, let alone become engaged in full-out battles for pride and maybe even prejudice. I decided to purchase my first Nerf gun since my glory years of preteenhood, and after a breif visit to Target, the Maverick was in my hands, loaded and ready for anyone willing to eat foam-encased suckion cups.

After showing off the Maverick Rev-6, which I nicked named "Chester", a friend of mine suggested a novel but fucking awesome idea: a dorm-wide Nerf War. This excited me so much I searched the web for more shooters that could be added to my arsenal. What I ended up finding was a soceity of Nerf Warriors with battle strategies and modified guns. These customized blasters come with loads of variations from increased ammo, improved accuaracy and beefed-up firepower to the point of pain-giving. What I'm saying is:

People find ways to make Nerf Guns hurt others.

And you know what? That kicks ass. My inital want of a passtime has erupted into an adolescent obsession, and now I want more. More mods. More power. More Nerf. To this day, I only have a trio of guns. Chester is currently my go-to death-desributor while the Hidden Shot (approx. 10 years old) is being vamped up as we speak. The third and final is the Mad Hornet, a bulky semi-automatic driven by air. Unfortunately, it is of low quality and will serve as a decoration for now, sort of like Gene Keady's toupee'.

What will come of all this? No fucking idea.
What about the site? Nothing new, really.
What am I supposed to do without you? Ask Mikey Bolton

Rather the fan,
Brettzki

2 Comments:

Blogger Pbre said...

7th grade, with the help of another (who it was is quite foggy), I was able to put a very small needle through the end of NERF darts. I shot my brother in the leg once, using the modified darts, and it drew blood. That's about when I stopped.

:D

Thought you would enjoy that.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Manda said...

Wow... Peter is the crafty Asian weaponsmith. I never knew that about him.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home